Sunday, May 14, 2017

Let's Talk About The Shadow Wars

I started a new blog!

Under normal circumstances, I'd do a 'Welcome To The Blog' post, but honestly, it just seems like a waste of time, and you can read all that stuff about me in the Who Am I? section. Why did I start a new blog? This may sound kind of stupid, but it occurred to me very suddenly, about a week ago, that having my primary blog be named anything other than my name was probably not the best idea. So I figured we'd just get right into it.

Something I've wrestled with for my entire life is wanting to talk about my projects before they're actually done, or even started for that matter. I've gotten a lot better at it, but the problem is that even at the pace I set, novels still take awhile to write. Especially if you're really busy. Which I am. So, every now and then, I just need to get it out. I have to talk about my plans for the future. I mean, if movie studios get to announce that such-and-such movie is coming out three years from now, I think I can talk about the next year or so.

First of all, and I've said it before, but just in case you missed it, I will be bringing The Shadow Wars, in their entirety, to my S. A. Lusher WattPad profile.

The new, interesting piece of information, however, is that I will be editing and revising all of those titles. Some more than others. So what does that mean? Well, although the exact plans are in a bit of a state of flux, I'll give you a list of what I've come up with so far.

DEAD ICE: I'm fairly content with this one. I'll just read through it and do some edits and touch-ups where necessary.

DEAD SKIES: I've never been really satisfied with Dead Skies, and that is one of the reasons I am going to rewrite it. Although it won't be very dissimilar from the current version, I hope it to be better written, smoother, and more fleshed out.

DEAD RAIN: This is the other reason I'm rewriting Dead Skies. I want to extend the prequel arc into a trilogy, since I've always had a few ideas that I never got to get around to and won't really fit anywhere else. This will be about as long as the previous two entries. I plan on releasing the entire trilogy as a single pack on Amazon called Necropolis: Survival, but the individual titles will go up on WattPad.

NECROPOLIS: This one will mostly be left alone, just edited and touched up, but there are a few ideas I think I might insert. Think of it as an extended cut.

NECROPOLIS 2 - ENDURANCE: Same as Necropolis, basically.

NERVES OF STEEL: Just edits and touch-ups.

NECROPOLIS 3 - ANNIHILATION: Ditto.

ABSOLUTE ZERO: Ditto.

BLOOD & TEARS: Ditto.

CEASELESS: Ditto.

SYBERIAN SUNRISE: Ditto.

SNOWBLIND: Ditto.

QUARANTINE: Okay, this one is actually going to be rewritten and extended into a full novel. Part of the reason for this is because it's a very crucial part of the story, I believe, and I don't know how many people have missed out on it just because Amazon won't recognize 7.5 as part of a series. Plus, I just really liked writing that one and would be happy to revisit it and expand on some of the ideas in it.

ROGUE OPS RISING: While this will probably largely be touched up and edited, I might do some rewrites. It all depends on how I feel as I'm reading over it. I was never very satisfied with this one.

COUNTDOWN: Just touch-ups and edits.

WARM MEMORIES: Ditto.

LAID TO REST: Ditto.

NECROPOLIS 4 - TERMINAL: Ditto.

SIMPLE ACTS OF KINDNESS: Ditto.

EB-303: I want to do a full rewrite of this one. I really was under a time crunch when I wrote it and felt it could definitely be better. It certainly won't be a full novel, but it'll probably be at least somewhat longer.

ALONE?: Basically the same as above, although I don't think it will be much longer. I'm pretty happy with the ideas and the overall plot, but I think it could probably go a little smoother. We'll see how that goes, though.

STARCK'S LAMENT: Just touch-ups and edits.

DEATHLESS: Ditto.

OUTPOST 88: Ditto.

THE BLIND WAR/INTO THE VOID: Okay, this is going to be by far the biggest change. I was under probably the most stress I've ever been under in relation to writing when I wrote these two. I honestly feel like these are terrible and could have been way, way better. So this is what I'm going to do: I'm going to combine them and do a full rewrite, burning away all the extra stuff I stuck in there, making it all a lot smoother and also a lot better.

LETHAL CARGO: Just touch-ups and edits.

SATURATE: Ditto.

Now, on top of all of these changes, I'm going to pull down all of the existing versions of The Shadow Wars off of Amazon and publish brand new copies. I'm also going to try and have the covers redone a bit, since I've had a few more ideas since then.

Now, after everything has been updated and reposted, I plan on writing six brand new, original short stories. Each one will basically be a little snapshot of one of the six remaining protagonists in The Shadow Wars that takes place after Saturate. Kind of like an epilogue.

Although that's probably where I'll end it for a little bit and take another break, I do have more ideas, and I will briefly outline them.

In just the past few months, I've come up with an idea for a sequel series. It's based off of a handful of ideas that I have leftover that I never got around to using and I think would be really cool. This series will be told from the perspective of a single protagonist, a Spec Ops soldier who has never had any kind of paranormal or extraterrestrial encounter, and then encounters something crazy and gets inducted into Anomalous Ops, and it will take place ten years after the end of Saturate. So obviously the original cast are going to either cameo or become part of the series.

I think it would be cool to see everyone further down the line and from an outsider's perspective. It's still very early in the pre-production stages and I think it'll be about five books long. This one will be more for fun than anything else. There isn't going to be a super epic story or anything. Not that I won't take it seriously.

Now, even farther down the line, and this one I truly have no idea how long it will be, I do have an idea for an epic sequel series called Dark Corners of the Galaxy. I have an idea of how this one is going to go, but I haven't really planned any of it, since I know it's so far off.

In other news, I have a dark Sci-Fi/Horror trilogy set in the Shadow Wars universe planned that I really, really like. I also have a handful of stand-alone ideas for novels, one of which is Dawn's War. Some of you may remember that one. I also have an idea for a series of novellas that follows the horror and social exploits of a cargo-running technician who lives on a huge space ship, alone except for an artificial intelligence. If this sounds familiar, it's because this was the basis of my interpretation of Toonami in the Halo universe. It's basically an original version of that. I also have a vague idea for an action series featuring original characters, but it's also pretty distant.

And that's all I've got for now, at least in regards to The Shadow Wars.

Now, as consistently as I would post these stories when I was actually writing them, I won't be able to promise any kind of consistency with these new plans. I can't even begin this project until July at the earliest, because of the KDP Select, but I don't know where I'll be then.

So yeah, hopefully this makes people happy. One of the really nice things about shifting my primary focus to a second pen name is that it really takes the pressure off of this one. I can basically just write whatever.

-Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment